Having been on the go from 7-8 daily with at least one wake up with the baby in the night for two weeks, I am beyond exhausted.
I have formulated some tips for coping with school aged kids:
- The park – find a fenced park, take a coffee, sit and watch them play themselves out.
- If it’s too wet for the park, go to an indoor playground.
- Morning activity, afternoon DVD. And while they watch, you sit and watch or just relax with the heat pack.
- Have pre prepared activities. I found word finds and a science quiz at the Science Kids website.
- Have them start a journal of what they have been up to. One of the kids really took to that idea and spent hours slaving over his book!
- Utilise the points system. These kids earned points (and lost them) and the points equaled a minute on their tablet. There were some tears when one kid lost tablet time one afternoon and the other had his, but he learnt!
- Which leads to the last point, be firm and consistent. They remember, even if our fogged brain can’t!