Last Updated on May 25, 2023 by melissanreynolds
Given the involvement of the sympathetic nervous system in fibromyalgia, it’s important to have tools to both protect and manage it.
Simply put the sympathetic nervous system is the “fight or flight” response – stress occurs, we fight it or run away. This response is that adrenalin that diverts energy to the systems that enable fight or flight. The opposite response comes from the parasympathetic nervous system, the “rest and digest” response. When we feel safe and there is no danger, the systems that help us to rest and digest work unhindered.
In fibromyalgia we are too often in the fight or flight state. So I am sharing what I do to reduce the burden on it and to support it (or nurture the rest and digest response).
In this video I share the things I do to reduce the impact on my nervous system of every day things and the supportive things I do to nurture my nervous system.
- Limit news consumption
- No scary programmes or movies
- Mindful boundaries with social media – how long I spend, who I’m following
The 9 Ways to Support Your Nervous System aka Calm Stress, Anxiety, Overwhelm and More
- Breathwork – learn how breathing and the central nervous system go together
- Gentle yoga – learn how to start your practice in this article
- Restorative Yoga – try a free bed yoga mini retreat
- Yoga Nidra – learn what you need to know about yoga nidra for fibromyalgia
- Getting outside – being outside is proven to calm the central nervous system
- Mindfulness practices – check out the five essential mindfulness practices of a mama of four
- Present moment awareness
- Connection – social connection is a powerful tool for supporting your nervous system
I invite you to join the free challenge with me!
Download your free challenge sheet and get started today. All you need to do is choose the things you want to work on reducing and the supportive practices for your nervous system you want to add. And do it! I’ve got loads of classes to help you. The above links in the list will give you more information about each area.
And in my Yoga for Chronic Pain and Fatigue free challenge I have all four of the types of yoga that can be supportive for your nervous system. Sign up for that after you’ve downloaded your free challenge printable above.
TELL US: Do you practice any of these practices? Are you doing the challenge? Join us in the Melissa vs FMS/CFS Facebook group!